Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel to Series Switching Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikr09

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

In this occasion, i would like to implement a system which can let me switch automatically parallel to series mode of two batteries represented on the image as b1and b2.

The idea is to control it using a micro which is continuously measuring the voltage of the Batteries (3.6V) and the idea is that once the batteries be 1.8V, inmediately changes to series (1.8 +1.8 = 3.6) and the system can continue working.

My problem is that i dont know which kind of switching devices must i use because i will drive pulse currents until of 300mA.

I hope you can help me with this.

Thanks! Cto Batt.jpg

If the battery voltage drops to half of when it is new then it is already dead and connecting two in series will cause their total voltage to drop extremely quickly, you gain almost no extra time.

Are the battery cells Lithium rechargeable? They are destroyed if their voltage drops below 3.0V and attempting to recharge them might cause a fire.

If the battery voltage drops to half of when it is new then it is already dead and connecting two in series will cause their total voltage to drop extremely quickly, you gain almost no extra time.

Are the battery cells Lithium rechargeable? They are destroyed if their voltage drops below 3.0V and attempting to recharge them might cause a fire.

Thanks for your great explanation. Now, according you told me about the point where the batteries get half charge; the idea is that at least let the board working for about one day and can notify to a server in order to change it inmediately.

PD: The system has a GPRS module.

It would be helpful if you show two schematics, one for charging (before switchover), and one after switchover.

Questions:

Do you wish to use one or more relays?

What is the source charging voltage?

Where is load attached?

Do you need for the negative end of the battery to be 0V ground?

Hi,

Audioguru is correct.

When the voltage is below 3V, then don´t draw any current from the battery. Not in prallel, nor in series.

In this diagram you see, that from 3.4V down to 3.0V the charge goes from 1920mAh to 2000mAh.
This is only 4% of the charge.
https://www.richtek.com/battery-management/img/battery-discharge.png
* This is less than the tolerance from one battery to the other.
* Or a couple degree of temperature difference
In my eyes it is not worth any effort.

In case you use a switching regulator --> Maybe use a SEPIC one to get higher output voltage. Take care of no_load_input current. Consider to use burst mode.
In case you use a linear regulator --> use a switching regulator.

Klaus

It would be helpful if you show two schematics, one for charging (before switchover), and one after switchover.

Questions:

Do you wish to use one or more relays?
I dont want to use mechanical relays because my application must be ultra low consumption.

What is the source charging voltage?
There is no charging mode, the batteries are of 9Ah and i will use until 4 2*2 parallel by pair. These are the Batteries:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultralife-ER26500-Lithium-Battery/dp/B00HKJ2GC4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_121_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A44VSMFY6P6K8QQHEE21

According with my calculation, i dont need to charge the Batteries.

Where is load attached?
The Load is Attached after the D7 Diode... Look at the image attached VCC.

Do you need for the negative end of the battery to be 0V ground?
Yes i do, thats what i thought to implement the application that i need. A system which changes automatically parallel to series the batteries.

Captura.PNG

The datasheet for the battery shows that when it is near the end of its life then the voltage drops extremely quickly.

Attachments

• Ultralife battery.png
    Ultralife battery.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 132

Status
Not open for further replies.