Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power mosfet driver suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derun93

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I need to drive N channel power mosfet. The current on the mosfet varies 0A to 9A and the frequency of the switch is approximately 6KHz. Also range of the Vdd is 16.8V-9.8V. As a microcontroller I am using MSP430G2553 which is worked at 3.3V but the driver can work at 3.3V or 5V.
I am thinking to use IRF630 Power mosfet for my design. The link is the datasheet.
Can you suggest me a good MOSFET driver please?
Thank you.

**broken link removed**

IRF630 has Vth of 2 to 4V and specified Rdson for 10V Vgs. It can't be successfully operated with 5V or even 3.3V driver supply. Either choose a "logic-level" MOSFET or use high driver supply.

IRF630 has 9.3A continuous Id rating, it can't work at 9A without a large heat sink. It's also 200V class, not suggested for a low voltage application. You would use e.g. a 30 or 40V MOSFET for your battery balancer.

So you are saying that I need to give at least 10V to drive IRF630, right? Current on the MOSFET increases 0A to 9A linearly in 50usecond then decreases 9A to 0A and it goes like that. So what should Id rating be?

I would choose a low Rdson logic level MOSFET that can handle 9 A with small heat sink or no heat sink at all. Expect rated Id of several 10 A.

Yes, I would use the SO8 FET. A type with even lower Rdson won't harm, but the type should work at 9A.

For example, if I change my circuit and determine maximum current 1A, does it also work? Id rating is the maximum current, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.