Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC relay contacts welded by inrush current to capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvie

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
i have one of those AC motion sensors that are powered directly from 230V mains and provide switched AC phase output. I've connected 12V/6A (notebook-like) PSU to it to power 12V/3A LED stripes.

However it seems that relay contacts get welded together from time to time. (It does not switch off until i punch the motion sensor box to make contacts fall apart). So i suppose that's because of some filter capacitors on input of that 12V supply are causing inrush current thru relay. Motion sensor was probably designed for lightbulbs and ccfls so it cannot handle this properly.

Is there some way to limit this inrush current to keep relay contacts safe? I suppose there's already NTC thermisor for inrush current limiting in the supply.

BTW i've found this on internet, however i don't understand how it should help. It probably can only add more current to inrush as it adds another capacitor:

[from: www . industrologic . com/mechrelay.gif]

Last edited by a moderator:

I suppose there's already NTC thermistor for inrush current limiting in the supply.
Your results are suggesting it's not.

I've found this on internet, however i don't understand how it should help.
It's not related to inrush current protection.

I've installed some MF71 NTC scavenged from ATX PSU, so i'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.