Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Breaking Capacity Rating of MCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeow

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am a designer of a high power single phase 240 Vac lab equipment that could consume current 8-10 Amps during operating mode. I would recommend my client to use a power point that solely connected to a dedicated MCB to operate this equipment at his facilities. The power consumption would probably around 2 kW.

My client asked me which type of MCB should be allocated solely for this equipment? Here I told him:

Voltage Rating: 240Vac
Current Rating: 10A or above, preferrable 16A
Tripping curve: Type C

But how to determine correct breaking capacity of that miniature circuit breaker (MCB)? There is few options for breaking capacity: 4.5 kA, 6 kA, 10 kA, 15 kA and 25 kA. Which one I should go for?

Does the Prospective short circuit current of my lab equipment have something to do with this breaking capacity?

Does the Prospective short circuit current of my lab equipment have something to do with this breaking capacity?
No. Breaking capacity is the current that can be safely disconnected in case of a short.

Considering that the lab equipment will be connected to a line with 16 A fuse in the switchboard and that there will be master fuses in the switchboard and main distribution board with respective high breaking capacity, fuse dimensioning is more a matter of selectivity and possibly overload protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back