Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choice of coils - Self Resonant Frequency ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpenter

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have RF line with power RF signal, for example 50V 14MHz , for detection connection this line on load I need injected to line small DC current. DC current will be injected over inductor with large AC and small DC resistence, for example 220uH (on 14MHz 20k Ohm) and DC resistence < 10 Ohm.
I can be used as an inductor small 1210 LQH32CN221K23L
with Self Resonant Frequency 6.8MHz ?

Above the SRF, the inductor is a capacitor. Select your inductor with a SRF higher than your frequencies of interest. A higher SRF inductor that meets your design criteria is usually better.

I thought so.
Unfortunately, a small SMD 220uH coil with a SRF> 15 MHz does not make (buy),
I have to use 4 pcs DL1210-47 47uH SRF 15MHz In a series.

Also consider that the inductor will have to dissipate some power from the AC component. I've seen bias tees get smoked quickly when a tiny inductor is used on the output of a large power amp. A single 1210 is likely much too small.

Why do you need a Z of 20kΩ for your inductor? Isn't the inductor just a blocking inductor? What is the output Z of your 14MHz amplifier?

Indicatively.
RF line have output amplitude 50V ,output current 3A
Inductor separating the DC circuits that injects DC current into RF line (it is used for detecting if Load is connected).
If to injecting DC current use 3x coil 47uH with 10nF capacitor for canceling AC current. Current from RF line over 3x 47uH will be 3mA i.e 100mW power dissipation on three inductor. Originally, I counted max 70mW, but on PCB is not space for more inductor.
Farenell offer 68uH 1812 inductor COILCRAFT 1812LS-683XJLC, but price is 2$/pcs and this is a bit pricey.

- - - Updated - - -

Still I do not understand one thing.
Farnell offer TDK NLFV25T-680K-EF
68uH Self Resonant Frequency 10MHz , but in datasheet
on page 7 L FREQUENCY CHARACTERISTICS GRAPH I see 68uH have peak of L on 14MHz 200uH. and on page 9 IMPEDANCE FREQUENCY CHARACTERISTICS GRAPH 68uH have peak of impedance on 15MHz over 25k Ohm.

How am I supposed to understand that?
If I used two pieces should not be a problem.
Power disipation, 1008 size is bigger than 0805 resistor and 0805 have power rating 125mW

Status
Not open for further replies.