Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

calculating the current consumption of the inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DimaKilani

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I have designed a minimum inverter size in 65nm CMOS (W/L=150nm/60nm). I want to calculate the current consumption and leakage of the inverter.

I have two cases as below:

Case#1 (calculating total current): the input of the inverter is a normal clock (from 0V to Vdd). I measure the current from the supply. I_total=4.4pA

Case#2 (calculating the leakage): when Vin=0, PMOS is on and NMOS is off so it is leaking and I_leak_nmos= 5.33pA. On the other hand when Vin=Vdd, PMOS is off and NMOS is on so that PMOS is leaking and I_leak_pmos=3.35pA

Now the problem here is that the I_total < I_leak_nmos + I_leak_pmos. I know it is not logical since I_total= I_leak_pmos + I_leak_nmos + I_transition

In addition, I noticed that I_total= (I_leak_pmos + I_leak_nmos)/2. Is there something wrong?!

Please help. Thanks in advance.

How you are measuring I_total ?

Usually, Inverter's power consumption is evaluated as an average current consumption from supply. And the data is quoted along with input clock frequency.

Yes, this how I measure the current consumption by average it.

I found one solution which might be useful. Itotla= Iactive+Ileakage. I measured Itotal by taking the average current. Ileak is measured when the inverter is off. Then Iactive=Itotal-Ileakage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back