Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Compare two high performance preamplifiers for HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, attached are two high performance preamplifiers. I would like your comparison on these, referring to gain, noise, IP2 and IP3

Note that both are considered to be used on HF around 10MHZ (although the pga103 is specified to 50MHz minimum).
Also note I have build the PUSH-PULL norton preamplifier, not the single transistor one, so please refer to this design.

I am a bit confused on the PUSH-PULL norton preamplifier IP3 and IP2, as well as it's gain, can you help me figure these out?

Also, how can these compared with the hoola hoop active loop antenna from this page? http://www.techlib.com/electronics/antennas.html

Attachments

• norton_amps_ham_lankford.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
  • PGA-103+.pdf
    348.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

I am old and its late at night so I did not get to grips with the norton amp article. How ever I wa involved with 20 dB HF LN amps in the 1980s, that were basically class B 2N3866 running at 50mA with wideband matching transformers. The amps were 2.8dB NF 50KHZ/30MHZ.
Frank

I did something similar years back to the norton amp. The norton has higher P1dB, better intermod performance. The Mini-Circuits amp is cheaper, smaller and easier. Choose your poison.

The other gotcha with the norton circuit is very poor reverse isolation, may or may not be a problem depending on the application.

Regards, Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back