Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it a good idea to use rectifier diodes in series to reduce a power supply voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJohn20

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I have a 12V PSU which I want to reduce to 4V 2A PSU. I have used a NPN power transistor (BD137) plus a 270Ω resistor and a 5V zener to make a regulator which gives me a 4.4V output which is still too high.

Is it a good idea for me to just put a silicon rectifier of some sort in series with the regulator output to give me a further 0.6V drop thus giving me a 3.8 V regulated output?

Would that be reliable?

Ideally I should use a 4.6V zener which I can't get.

Thanks. Chris.

I have used a NPN power transistor (BD137) plus a 270Ω resistor and a 5V zener to make a regulator which gives me a 4.4V output which is still too high.
BD137 isn't suited for 2A load, neither in terms of rated current nor power disspation.

BD137 isn't suited for 2A load, neither in terms of rated current nor power disspation.

Ooops. My mistake. It is a BD437. Thanks. But the same question still applies.

Either use a real adjustable voltage regulator circuit (involving at least a second transistor) or a combination of zener and rectifier diodes that best fits 4.6 V. 4.7V is a standard zener voltage, by the way. Not to mention voltage regulator ICs...

Hi,

You dissipate a lot of power..twice as much as you use.
--> not efficient, a lot of heating, you need a big heatsink

Use a switch mode step down curcuit.

Klaus

Hi,

You dissipate a lot of power..twice as much as you use.
--> not efficient, a lot of heating, you need a big heatsink

Use a switch mode step down curcuit.

Klaus

Why would there be more heat dissipated dropping 0.6V over a rectifier and dropping the same voltage using a regulator? 0.6V @ 2A either way.

By switch mode you mean a PWM setup. Right? That would be unnecessarily complicated for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Either use a real adjustable voltage regulator circuit (involving at least a second transistor) or a combination of zener and rectifier diodes that best fits 4.6 V. 4.7V is a standard zener voltage, by the way. Not to mention voltage regulator ICs...

To me simple is good (and simple). Don't think I will find quite a suitable 4V 2A IC. But I will go looking for a 4.7V zener tomorrow. Cheers.

Hi,

Why would there be more heat dissipated dropping 0.6V over a rectifier and dropping the same voltage using a regulator? 0.6V @ 2A either way.
It seems to me you want rather drop 8V instead of 0.6V...

That would be unnecessarily complicated for me.
There are ready to buy step down modules. It is not more complicated to buy this than to buy any other electronic device..

Klaus

The power dissipation on a linear device, any linear device, will be (12-4)*2 = 16 watts.

To dissipate that much power you will require a large heatsink. I'm sure it would cost more than a SMPS that you purchase on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.