Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hobby Automatic Sliding Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

grcshekar

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Experts

I am student trying to learn and do something. I have made 7 doors from Styrofoam measuring 6" X 4" I am using limit switch at beginning and end of each door to recognise whether door is closed or open. Each door is controlled by Micro Servo.

Now I want to achieve the following functionality.

2. After 15 Min delay, 1st Door Opens. After 1st Door Opens, 2nd Door Opens. This goes on till all 7 doors are opened
3. After 15 Min Delay, the 7th Door Closes, After 7th Door Closes, 6th Door closes, This goes on till all doors are closed.
4. Cycle Repeats

Help Required for
1. Can I achieve the above without micro controller and simple circuit. If yes how
2. If micro controller is required, which one and the source code for the same

Hi,

1. Can I achieve the above without micro controller and simple circuit. If yes how
Yes, either analog with a lot of hardware, or digital with CPLD, FPGA, a true processor, or boards like arduino or raspberry, PC.....
Many, many, many possible solutions..

2. If micro controller is required, which one
I'd say any...at least 95% of those I know

and the source code for the same
You are kidding.
I want a car...if somebody has some spare ;-)

Klaus

The 3914 IC (bargraph driver) turns on its 10 output terminals, one at a time or as a bargraph, in response to volt level at the input. A ramp voltage going up slowly, then dropping slowly, will cause On-Off signals as you need.

You'll need to generate the 15-min delays. You'll need to adjust values to produce the rising and falling ramp voltage. To control a servo requires additional circuitry.

Can I achieve the above without micro controller and simple circuit.
Simplest circuit will definitely be with a microcontroller.

You "could" do it with a timer and discrete analog or digital chips (and/or some relays), but it will start to get very complex and use a great many parts.
Probably at lest seven times as many parts as for only one door.

7 doors from Styrofoam measuring 6" X 4"

What about a string attached to the doors, so that they open in sequence? Cut the strings to the proper length, so that each door starts to open the door next to it at the proper time. Movement may not be smooth. Anyway it's just an idea.

A servo ought to be strong enough to do the job, for small styrofoam doors. Of course you might need another servo positioned to close the doors.

I realize my string idea is better suited for hinged doors, now that I see the thread title says 'sliding door'. Additional ideas are metal wires, levers, weights, counterweights. Starts to sound complicated. So it's up to you whether 7 servos are easier to operate.

2. After 15 Min delay, 1st Door Opens. After 1st Door Opens, 2nd Door Opens. This goes on till all 7 doors are opened
3. After 15 Min Delay, the 7th Door Closes, After 7th Door Closes, 6th Door closes, This goes on till all doors are closed.

You need to specify clearly "after what". In other words, when the timer starts.

You need to use the trigger from the limit switches to run the servo for the next one.

What about a string attached to the doors, so that they open in sequence? Cut the strings to the proper length, so that each door starts to open the door next to it at the proper time. Movement may not be smooth. Anyway it's just an idea.

This is an excellent suggestion: because

1. Delays can be implemented with slack strings; you can program small time gaps between door openings.

2. One servo can be used to open all the doors; the string has to go round and round...

3. The limit switches will either grab or release the sting and move the doors...

But strangely, mechanical solutions are not fashionable these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.