Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antena On board 3G module SIM5320

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikr09

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello ,

I need to implement an on board antenna to the 3G of the SIM5320 and i dont know how to do it. I was loooking for it on internet but i just found about the Patch Antenna and that is not what i need. I hope you helpe me with this.... Thank you!

You need multi-band antenna to operate on cellular network. This is difficult antenna to implement. First of all it has to be tuned to multiple bands specified in your module you plan to use on the network you will be working with (low bands in range 824 to 950 MHz, high bands - 1800 MHz to 2100 MHz - subset of that) next you have to pass approvals to be able to operate on your network and in particular demonstrate that your system (module and antenna) radiate more then minimum required TRP (total radiated power) and receive with minimum required TRS (total received sensitivity). To be able to pass the tests you must have properly designed and tuned antenna and overall size of device (antenna and groundplane and combination of all conductive bodies in your device) - is critical. The certifying body in North America: PTCRB. Over the years I designed multiple antennas for cellular modules for different networks successfully - my antennas usually pass PTCRB pr-screening tests from the first time (if I am allowed to do things my way). However this design does not happen overnight. Let's say if you ask me to do this antenna for you and allow me to pick the overall device size (will be like medium size iPhone) and let me pick how much space antenna element will take on PCB (~ 2 inch square) - this will be relatively easy case for me and it will take me ~ 1 month. If your device is overall small or you do not have sufficient space on PCB for antenna element or have some special features - complexity of design increases and time increases. Consequently it will be expensive.
Not sure this is the answer you expected, sorry.

You need multi-band antenna to operate on cellular network. This is difficult antenna to implement. First of all it has to be tuned to multiple bands specified in your module you plan to use on the network you will be working with (low bands in range 824 to 950 MHz, high bands - 1800 MHz to 2100 MHz - subset of that) next you have to pass approvals to be able to operate on your network and in particular demonstrate that your system (module and antenna) radiate more then minimum required TRP (total radiated power) and receive with minimum required TRS (total received sensitivity). To be able to pass the tests you must have properly designed and tuned antenna and overall size of device (antenna and groundplane and combination of all conductive bodies in your device) - is critical. The certifying body in North America: PTCRB. Over the years I designed multiple antennas for cellular modules for different networks successfully - my antennas usually pass PTCRB pr-screening tests from the first time (if I am allowed to do things my way). However this design does not happen overnight. Let's say if you ask me to do this antenna for you and allow me to pick the overall device size (will be like medium size iPhone) and let me pick how much space antenna element will take on PCB (~ 2 inch square) - this will be relatively easy case for me and it will take me ~ 1 month. If your device is overall small or you do not have sufficient space on PCB for antenna element or have some special features - complexity of design increases and time increases. Consequently it will be expensive.
Not sure this is the answer you expected, sorry.

Hello AndreyG,

That what you wrote me is really interesting, you change my way to think about this topic. In order to the time and costs of it, i think is better to use a normal antenna.

Thanks a lot.

Yes, use external dual band antenna you can buy.
You still need to do certification to operate on network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back