Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

smps design for (vcc, +5v, +14v dc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jit_singh_tara

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
smps design for (vcc,+5v,+14v dc)

Dear Friends ,

I am new to smps design , You can say a beginner . I have an application where i need 3 supplies :

Vcc(+5v) ,+5v , +14V (driving relays) .

For Mcu : I need to save some variables in eeprom on power off .Currently i used to do this by following method:

I used to have 3 supplies from a transformer rating : 12 - 0 - 12 , 0 - 12 (350 mA)

12-0-12 winding used to generate vcc and +5v both from separate 7805 regulator.
0 - 12 winding to generate +14v for relay switching.

a. Vcc from 7805 (with a big cap added) so that in case of power failure mcu should get some extra time before turning off.

b.+5V another supply from 7805 which goes off immediately on power off . This supply was connected after dropping down using resistors to the base of transistor switching ckt so that it just remains on , any voltage lower than this dropped voltage would change the state of the transistor so that when power goes off the transistor gives a high connected to INT pin(21) of pic mcu 16f886 .

Basically i was detecting power off using transistor as a switch and connecting it to int pin so that on getting interrupt i could save some variables in eeprom.

3. UNregulated +14v dc for switching relays.

Now I need to design a system where i need to switch six 12v sugar cube relays , sense power off condition to save variables in eeprom .

But i need to have smps power supply for driving the same because of the space constraint.PLease suggest how to proceed.

Dont have hands on experience on designing smps .Or smps transformer ?

PLease suggest how should i proceed to generate these 3 voltage vcc, +5v , +14 volt using smps.
And can i add big cap on vcc generated from smps to implement the same logic of memory saving here , or there is some better method of doing it......

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.