Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cadence virtuoso layout DRC errors using calibre tool in180nm technology- Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADI21

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,
I am currently working on layout in cadence virtuoso having calibre tool. In inverter while doing DRC,I am getting the following error which I am unable to solve since 1 month and I didn't found in google.

1. Offgrid error
2. Orthogonal corners are not allowed at die edge.
3. related to M1,M2,GC coverage. (GC coverage less than 0.2)
4. Sized AA density
5. M1 area less than 0.414

This is probably a layout which you transferred from an other layout tool, the layout created with a different grid size. So you'd have to regrid it first to the grid size of your current technology file (may be 10nm for a 180nm technology). How this is done depends on the Virtuoso software version used, but should be accessible via a menu.

No, I have created the layout and I am using 180nm technology. So I have used default major and minor spacing and X -snap and Y - snap Spacing of 0.001.
I was getting 1000 offgrid errors then in main terminal I wrote "howFixOffGrid()" after that I am getting 10-15 offgrid errors. And for rest of the errors I am not getting anything how to remove them.

So may be you didn't create rectangles, i.e. orthogonal edges only. Check that, and if so, repair it!

I have created using rectangles and paths. This is the layout of inverter which I made.

Screenshot-10.pngScreenshot-10.png

I have created using rectangles and paths.

Right, actually looks so. Now 2 suggestions:

1. Check if your chosen grid size (0.001 without unit could mean 1nm or 1µm or 1mm) corresponds to your technology's grid size (see your technology file). Unit sizes depend on a scale parameter - if it exists.

2. If the remaining offgrid error messages contain coordinates (or are backannotated to the corresponding points in the layout), check these points, and, if possible move them to the nearest grid points.

Is technology file means DRC rule file? In rule file, 5nm is given which I used as a snap spacing.
Ya it contains coordinates,I will try to move them to the nearest points but I don't know what is backannotated. Can you please explain about that.

technology file means DRC rule file?
No. There should be a special technology file (techFile) somewhere in your PDK's Virtuoso setUp, callable from one of the layout menus.

... I don't know what is backannotated.
backannotated means back annotation of the reported error to the location with the coordinates of this error in the layout: there should be an error mark (on error dwg layer) which reports this error by clicking on it.

Ya, by clicking on the error it highlights the portion in the layout where error is present and it also shows the coordinates.
But for some of the errors it highlights the whole layout like - M1,M2,GC coverage error, offgrid error and I don't know what does coverage error means?

Reactions: ADI21

ADI21

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Reactions: ADI21

ADI21

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ok. Thank you so much.

- - - Updated - - -

that means I can ignore the coverage error and min area error?

Last edited:

You can probably ignore all the errors you listed until you get to some larger blocks. Some may not go away until you complete your layout.

You would be best off to ignore the min area errors after
determining that each of them will be fixed by attaching
the block usefully. This is generally the case, but wants
inspection. In some technologies a minimum via and its
surround will violate min area and then someone using
your cell will find their own min-area errors in your data
levels if they try to drop down using a single stacked via.
If it doesn't blow your layout area then consider redundant
contacts / vias which tend to exceed min area naturally
as well as incrementally improving yield / reliability. If
you cared about such things in your present environment.

You can probably ignore all the errors you listed until you get to some larger blocks. Some may not go away until you complete your layout.

I wouldn't ignore the min area errors. Those should be fixed at IP level.

Larger blocks means opamp,ADC something like that? But in mostly every circuit inverter is used. If in inverter,all the errors are not removed then how come other complex layouts will be error free?

- - - Updated - - -

Which contacts are redundant? Wherever their is an intersection of M1,M2 or M1,GC or any other, contacts are needed?
I have also noticed that if I am only using M1 not M2,then M1 are crossing(intersecting) each other but no error is displayed. Is it the right way?

- - - Updated - - -

Then how did you solved all this errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back