Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 24VDC to 5VDC level converter ic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranbeer Singh

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have 18 numbers of 24dc voltage digital inputs and want to connect with my PIC controller (5VDC). I googled MC1489 is perfect for my application. But problem is there that it is not suitable for industrial applications. It's operating temperature range is 0'c to 75'c.

1. I need industrial (-40'c to 85'c) type ic.
2. Should be according to EMC (ESD protection, EOS protection....).
3. 4 to 8 input/output arrays.

Hi,

Why not using simple 2 resistors voltage divider?

Klaus

Hi,

specify "magnetic compatible" ... there are so many definitons with so many different specifications.

In general resistors are relatively robust against overvoltge and they limit current and divide voltage.. additionally they transform the electrical energy into heat.

If you are not sure you may add protection devices.(multiples in one small device) . I recommend this.
And you may add capacitors for high frequency filtering.
And you may add schmitt trigger input stages..

How much effort you want to spend, or how large the EMV or ESD signals are... we don´t know.

Klaus

Oh yes
Thank you.

I have forgot for optocouplers. It can cover my all of requirements.

Last question is... Will need any lowpass/highpass filter at output of optocoupler?

Usually, some capacitors is recomended. But it depends from application. I prefer to use s/w filtering.

Hi,

I don't see any other option except optocouplers. Inputs have to be isolated. Always.

I develop high reliabilty industrial equippment for many years now. (the highest power are phase controlled 2500V RMS AC, 6000A RMS. Next to the control logic and sensitive measurement devivces)
Yes, I often use optocouplers, but not "always".

When I use the same GND reference and the same supply as a PLC, then usually I don´t use optocouplers.

But sometimes even optocouplers are not enough isolation, then I use POF.

Klaus

Klaus;
what is a POF? I don't recognize the term.

Ranbeer;
You can connect all the grounds together, if you are very knowledgeable about what you are doing.
Klaus has lots of experience...........But if you are unsure about the common mode requirements, then it is better to use optocouplers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back