Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Peltier Connection in Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdzaid

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I don't have solid back ground in electric or electronics I connect 2 peltier 12706 in Series and give them supply from 12v adapter 2000ma and they worked but not efficient also I connected 3rd one 12703 with the same adapter and I got some effect.

if I wanted to connect 10 peltier in Series should I increase the power supply to get the maximum rated efficiency?

what if I wanted to control the Amps running through them?

You don't give details about the test conditions, e.g. heat sink termination of hot side and don't report quantitative results.

I presume that "connection in series" refers to electrical connection? Thermal connection is in parallel?

You need to increase the power supply voltage and current to achieve same ΔT (and respective higher Q) with two 12706. Everything is in the datasheets.

I suggest to describe in detail what you want to achieve and how the thermal circuit looks like.

if I wanted to connect 10 peltier in Series should I increase the power supply to get the maximum rated efficiency?

According to the Carnot theory, the thermal efficiency of the process is unlinearly proportional to the temperature ratio between cool and hot parts, assuming that heatsinks are properly sized, seems like putting several cells in series would reduce available individual energy per part and consequently degrading overall efficiency.

That Peltier appears to be a Nominal 12 Volt device, rated at 6 Amps.
Putting Two in series, but still applying 12 Volts reduces the Current Draw, Reducing the Heat Pumping capacity.
3 In series make this even WORSE.

And your 2000 mA (2 Amp) supply is Not even Suitable to properly Operate ONE of these

cooling performance is limited by removal of heat on hot side. Use CPU cooler
Yes but without Suitable Current, Efficiency is also lost.

And he didn't say if he had Heat Sinks on them or not.

A Picture of his setup would help us to give him some solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.