Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Required level of device physics

Status
Not open for further replies.

thushianthan15

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

If I want to be an Analog designer (Discrete or IC) how much device physics is needed?

Already done a semi-conductor physics course, but not devices (i.e First 6 chapters of Neamen's book and an intro to PN junction).

Do I have to take a device course in order to be good analog engineer?

Level: Undergraduate

Thanks.

... Do I have to take a device course in order to be good analog engineer?

Not necessarily, but it could be helpful, at least if you'd later decide to design analog ICs, and perhaps even create their layout.

If you ever want to do analog design at the chip level (designing IC chips), than a good foundation in device solid-state physics is likely necessary.
Otherwise you can probably get by without it.

Otherwise you can probably get by without it.

Right, you probably can, because the DRC rules prevent that you'd violate necessary spacing regulations, determined by device physics. But an understanding of the DRC rules on a device physics base is very helpful in recognizing the reason for their violations' error messages, and thus for repairing those - or how to run them over ;-).

Right, you probably can, because the DRC rules prevent that you'd violate necessary spacing regulations, determined by device physics. But an understanding of the DRC rules on a device physics base is very helpful in recognizing the reason for their violations' error messages, and thus for repairing those - or how to run them over ;-).
There's much more than DRC rules needed to design analog IC chips.
You also need detailed models and understanding of the active device characteristics and an understanding of device physics is very helpful in that.

There's all kinds of analog design and you might be fine
doing higher level work using only approved PDK elements
if that's your thing. But if you need to cheat, then you
need to "cheat smart" and part of that is being able to
challenge the "No!" Posse (your device and reliability
engineers) when they start mouthing dogma at you.
Someone doing ESD and I/O design, or power management
or trying to perform an analog function with as few devices
as possible, will benefit from a gut understanding of device
behavior and fragility, and what can be done by layout or
by processing to improve what's on the plate. That, or
learn to like the taste of macaroni and cheese and nothing
but.

You also need detailed models and understanding of the active device characteristics and an understanding of device physics is very helpful in that.

Yeah, would be awfully nice, if active device characteristics would find their way in cell models - usually it isn't so, unfortunately. (A semiconductor physicist - me).

Status
Not open for further replies.