Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Proteus: Problem with Output Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagefault

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone, this is my first message in the forum I'm also starting with circuit simulations. I'm simulating this simple circuit using Proteus 8...

Circuit.png

...and I get the following message:

Circuit2.png

But if I disconnect the capacitor the problem dissapears. I assume I have convergency problems, but I cannot understand why.

Thanks in advance for your answers =)

Thanks for your answer. That actually prevents the error messages from appearing but I think that I'm also losing the isolation between the input and the output, is there a way to specify that their are different grounds? Thanks again.

Hi,

it is a (known) simulation problem.
It doesn´t need to be low ohmic. Often a 100M Ohms resistor to ground the secondary side helps.

BTW: I don´t think it´s a good idea to switch the capacitor with unknown high currents. A current limiting resistor or an inductor helps to keep switching currents low.

Klaus

Thanks for your answer. That actually prevents the error messages from appearing but I think that I'm also losing the isolation between the input and the output, is there a way to specify that their are different grounds? Thanks again.
You are worring about being shoked by virtual electricity? :laugh:
All relevant measurements have to use their own grounds.

Try adding a high ohm resistor across the diode. I believe the simulator creates oscillations erroneously, due to action of neighboring LCD. The diode starts to turn off below its threshold V, but the inductor wants to produce current regardless, so it turns the diode on again.

Hi everyone, I appreciate all your answer, I've been trying the solutions you propose but I still can't figure out why this is happening.

The same happens to me in every simple circuit I try to implement, like the following:

Captura.PNG

The circuit seems to be working fine, but when I add the ground to the secondary side and hit the run button, I get error due to CPU overload (I also try adding a high ohm resistor as KlausST suggested but I got the same error).

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

now there´s a new situation.

Add a 1000k resistor from secondary capacitor negative side to GND
Add a 1000k resistor in parallel to D2.

Show us the updated schematic.

Tell us what happens.

Klaus

Hi,

now there´s a new situation.

Add a 1000k resistor from secondary capacitor negative side to GND
Add a 1000k resistor in parallel to D2.

Show us the updated schematic.

Tell us what happens.

Klaus
Hi Klaus, thanks for taking your time to give me a new answer.

I updated the circuit in the way you suggested and it worked perfect :thumbsup:
Captura2.PNG

Now I've been trying to understand what's going on, but I stil didn't get it :roll::p

Take a look at my Youtube video below. It's an animated simulation, which depicts current flow in this type of power supply. How the capacitor charges, powers the load, etc.

Full-wave diode bridge power supply (Animated):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back