Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regulated Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkujangid

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I design a circuit of Modbus and GSM with two different regulators.
Modbus need voltage >4.8 and GSM need 4 volt so i used 7805 (1Amp) with Max485 and atmega8 converter and LM2596 (3Amps) Adjustable regulator to power up GSM board . and input supply is 12V/2A adapter. when i use this circuit to read data from inverter and send data using http request.
my 7805 goes heat up but circuit working properly . please suggest me what change should i make ??

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment supply_image.jpg

image of schematic

Hi,

First step would be to calculate PD of 7805: (Vin - Vout) * I. If it's 12V in, then 7V * (Modbus + ATMega currents).

Good idea to review datasheet graphs for 7805 about current draw at different Vin - Vout. I think about 100mA is a nice current for that size voltage drop without a heatsink or forced cooling.

Possibly - depending on current draw - need to heatsink the 7805.

If 7805 is the regulator you must use you could bypass it with a BJT, figure 13 and 14 of STMicro 78xx datasheet has the circuit diagrams and formula.

Use a dropping resistor on input to 7805, but that just wastes the same amount of energy, at least it would be outside the regulator. You can do the same thing with a mosfet (using it as a dropping resistor), I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back