Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Q about spark coil (turning clock coil into ignition coil)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Javid.zare.s

Hi
Im wondering if i can get a mechanical/electrical clocks coil and add a secondary wire on it and make a spark coil (low to high voltage converter)
How many turns does this coil have?
Will the wires melt down?
How they calculate the turns of secondary wiring?
And alot more questions

Can you? Probably. It'd be a crude and likely unsafe thing,
as your questions (and more) all need answering.

Should you? Well, that's another question.

A car ignition coil is meant for this kind of thing and they
are always around, unwanted. Knock you right out, one
good spark will. So be careful or better yet just don't.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I tried to disassemble car ignition but i couldnt( wanna use this inside a handy thing)
image.jpeg
Can any one say how many turns does this coil have?!?!
Theres a number on it says 55

No of turns do not matter anyway because if the output gets more than 1.5-2kV, there will be sparking between the turns. So try to get 1000V output using a relaxation oscillator and try to multiply the voltage using a doubler. If you power on a car ignition coil without the load, there will be sparking inside and the coil will be damaged. Ignition coils are designed to deliver a healthy dose of energy.

V

Rough guess, 2,000 turns but I could be wildly out. It would be custom made for the clock so only the original manufacturer would know for sure.

Forget using it for high voltage, even if you made a transformer, using it as a secondary and winding say 50 turns of primary around it, the step up ratio would be fine but the insulation on that kind of wire would probably break down or flash over at around 50V. You would in any case have to modify the metal core, at the moment it is designed to concentrate a magnetic field in the rectangular gap, that is where the rotating part of the clock mechanism gets it's 'push' from. It needs linking across to complete the magnetic circuit. In all, it's far more work than it's worth for such poor outcome.

Brian.

V

Thats too bad for me , i saw these premade coils ,i though i could make one but i dont have a magnet wire...
image.jpeg
--I wanna use lm555 and a tansistor to make ac pulse but (in picture) he used 2 relays does it matters?
--what turns ratio should i use? 9v battery to more than 20kv
--and should i use thick wire for primary wiring?!

I would guess the one in the picture uses the switch to operate the relays and the relays to connect the battery across the primary of the transformer. It would produce one spike of high voltage as the relay opened but not AC.

If you want to do it that way, use a small iron-cored mains transformer, the kind found in small wall warts. Connect the battery through the switch to the low voltage side of the transformer and take the high voltge from the mains side. Beware of the danger, both from the high voltage as the switch opens and the risk of fire or battery explosion if you hold the switch closed for too long. The current from the battery will be very high as the low resistance of the transformer will almost completely short it out.

Brian.

V

T
--what turns ratio should i use? 9v battery to more than 20kv

20kV is rather high voltage, rather dangerously high voltage. It needs special techniques else you will see flash overs or excessive arching.

You can try one simple trick: take several small iron cored mains transformer (post #7) and connect the low voltage ends in parallel (take care of the polarities) and the high voltage ends in series (take care of the polarities again). Using 4-5 transformers, you can get 5-10 kV with luck.

Take care of the high voltages.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back