Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF capacitors with high Q/low ESR don't list ESR above 2 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

usx

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm selecting a DC blocking cap to be used in X-band. Basically, I have a 50Ω RF line - DC blocking cap - 50Ω line.

I'll use this as an example.
**broken link removed**

I want large capacitance and looking at the graphs of ESR/Q vs frequency, it seems that Q will go down with higher frequency, however, they don't tell how low will it go.

I'm assuming the value of capacitance will remain the same, but I don't know what to make of SRF vs Capacitance graphs.

To summarize my question, how am I supposed to determine impedance of the cap without knowing Q factor at the frequency of interest? Am I supposed to use much larger capacitors around 0.1 uF like some articles suggest to account for tanking Q?

Thanks

I haven't worked in the X-band myself, but instead of trying to extract some unmeasured parameters, I think your solution is to use a better capacitor. ATCeramics has a set of ultra broadband caps that will fit your job, claiming an SRF of 40+ GHz and a capacitance in the nF range, great for a DC blocking cap.

**broken link removed**

Or you can buy a cap from Kemet or Murata and measure it yourself. If you pick something with an SRF of about 2 GHz, you might still have a low enough impedance that it doesn't matter too much.

At those frequencies expect ESL is what really matters,
maybe they don't bother listing ESR at that frequency
because anyone who cares, doesn't care about that
form of (mis-)expression?

Status
Not open for further replies.