Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculation of Potting compound thermal resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh-eda

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
Could someone please help me with a problem.
I have a PCB that fits in an ABS box and is to be completely potted, top and bottom.

I am investigating device failure modes, as I need to ensure that the outside surface temperature does not reach 135C.
I've worked out that one SOT23 device may reach a junction temperature of 150C, under fault condition. It sits on the top of the PCB,
althought the PCB sits quite low in the box.

How do estimate the overall thermal resistance of the potting compound (ignoring the ABS box for now) from the device case to the surface?
So i can work out the surface temperature.

I know that the thermal resistance is length /(area x thermal conductivity)

The device is very small source of heat, which will radiate in three dimensions.

I know the box dimensions, 100x65x35mm. The potting compound has thermal conductivity of 0.48W/mk. thermal resistance of SOT23 device is 250c/w.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back