Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] 2 power supplies in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cecemel

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm getting into rc and bought a 300w balance charger (input voltage: 10-28v). To get 300w tho, the input voltage needs to be higher than 18v. I've got 2 12v atx pc power supplies (14a) that I would like to connect in series. What would I have to do to accomplish this without burning my house down?

What i would do: plug them both in and turn them on, use my multimeter and measure (without the supplies being connected to each other) between gnd of 1 and +12v of the other. If voltage (difference) is 0v (both ac and dc), it should be safe(?), so connect them together.

Your opinions?
Cecemel

Re: 2 power supplies in series

Connecting power supplies in series is quite common, there should not have any impediment on this at the ATX power supply. The only remark is that perhaps you should ensure a minimum load at the 5v. If I'm correct, the 12v control is took from the 5v reference.

Re: 2 power supplies in series

Unless the output is fully floating, you will have serious problems. First check if any of the outputs are grounded (chassis and power socket)- if yes, then the outputs cannot be connected in series.

Just checked and ground is connected to earth...
Is it safe to open the psu, trace down the earth wire and just make sure it has no connection with the circuit board (while leaving it connected to the case)?

Check it again; I would expect the chassis connected somewhere on AC stage of the power supply.

How about putting them in parallel?

Simply questions do not have simple answers. It means I do not know.

1. How to ensure that the currents are shared equally (at least approximately)?

2. How the current shares will be affected by the internal voltage regulation?

3. Even if the two ATX power supplies are identical in performance, how do we ensure their response to load changes?

It may be possible but risky.

Haha ok. I'll just use 1 psu. Batteries will take a few minutes longer to charge but whatever. In the future I may buy a 24v supply from Banggood or something.

Thx everyone!
Cecemel:p

Status
Not open for further replies.