Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NTC thermistor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITESH KAKKAR

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
What is NTC 10D-9 mean on it cover name?
and what it is used in series with AC to DC conver SMPS 12V 2A

I've seen this piece in input . This piece is to prevent inrush current to charge capacitors when you plug SMPS to AC this NTC will work and then jumper by a switch.

what will happen if we will not use it?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the picture

Attachments

• 20160630_131928.jpg
    20160630_131928.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94

This is also a kind of resistance. But when an electric current passes through it, its resistance drops. Thus the voltage drop does not occur. If you refer to it's datasheet,you will see that it is related to its resistance at 25 °(in this type 100ohm) and its size(D-9).

what is D-9 mm??
can't we use direct 100ohm resistance?

can't we use direct 100ohm resistance?
As stated by others in previous posts, the NTC is different than the use of 100 ohm resistance because when it is cold(at the beginning) has a big resistance, and when it is hot has low resistance.

ok, that i know negative temperature coefficient but why we prefer it in smps design?

what does D9 mean?

ok, that i know negative temperature coefficient but why we prefer it in smps design?

As previously stated we need a resistance to prevent inrush current, but after the connecting, a resistance will cause voltage drop. Ntc use for this purpose.

Reactions: RETGT

RETGT

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.