Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] ac motor speed controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the speed regulator and the fan are connected by two wires, it is basically a voltage controlled device and your triac controller is expected to work.

Well, I believe I have a good conclusion to this issue. I am using voltage control. I took an old computer power supply box and removed the guts except for the little cooling fan. I then put in an autotransformer (from a broken stereo amplifier) which had a 65v and a 15v tap. I installed a wall receptacle and attached it to the 65v tap. At the 15v tap I built a small rectifier with voltage control to run the cooling fan. I needed the cooling fan because the autotransformer got plenty warm. So now I put 120v into the autotransformer and plug my Lasko fan into the 65v receptacle and presto... quiet air blowing. Having said that I will add that I had also tried a cheap filament bulb triac dimmer. That also seemed to work OK, except that there was a little hum-like noise at slow speed. So I prefer the low voltage solution. Thanks for all your help

I'm glad that you found a solution that works for you.

Indeed the dimmers will create some noise at low voltage settings, because of the narrow trigger angle.

I wonder if the low voltage high current noise is from magnetostiction in the ferrite and if a Motor Run cap,would reduce the noise across transformer output. It would certainly reduce current ripple.

Status
Not open for further replies.