Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

saturation Current of Toroidal Inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Rehan

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
saturation Current of Inductor

I have black toroidal inductor cores
According to manufacture data its saturation current is 3A Idc

If I use two cores for one inductor will its saturation current increase? If used copper wire can handle 7A

Capture.PNG

Saturation field strength H is an ampere turns (N*I) quantity. Using two cores with the same number of turns doesn't change it.

The photo seems to show a common mode choke (with 4 terminals). It's usually not specified with a saturation current.

Reactions: M.Rehan

M.Rehan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: saturation Current of Inductor

If I use two cores for one inductor will its saturation current increase?

What arrangement you want to do?
To wind around these two cores stacked side-by-side?

This would in fact reduce the electromagnetic flux over each core, but it seems a bit unusual?

What it means is you can get same CM impedance with half the turns which thus raises your max current , except for non ideal fringe and conduction losses.

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

To wind around these two cores stacked side-by-side?

Yes

Actually I want to increase the saturation current point of my inductor.
Increasing Number of turns will increase Inductance but not the saturation point.
Is there any way to increase saturation current of inductor with changing parameters like frequency turns etc?

Last edited:

Just to prevent mislead, saying saturation current it induces the wrong idea of being on electric current, but what you certainly want to know if on changing turns/frequency would lead magnetic flux beyond core saturation limit ? Yes.

Is there any way to increase saturation current of inductor
Sure, reduce number of turns. Or increase the air gap, not available for toroid core of course.

M.Rehan

CMRR of the choke depends on ratio of impedance for conducted emissions or Xc/XL although normal used in a pi filter.

So you can almost double the Imax with half the turns then restore the reactance with doubling the core size if you need a certain attenuation of COmmon Mode or differential mode noise by using commin mode caps and differential mode cap. ok?

If you stack two cores and use only half the turns, the inductance will stay the same, but it will take twice the current before saturation.

@FvM

Refering to Thread #5
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/199057/

I have actually increased core size using 2 cores attached side by side with glue and then wrap wire around it.

If core size increased will it increase its saturation current of inductor?

In thread #5 of above given link it says Yes

But in your reply says No.

- - - Updated - - -

The photo seems to show a common mode choke (with 4 terminals). It's usually not specified with a saturation current.
I used photo from internet to show two core attached side by side.
In my case its a single wire coil.

In thread #5 of above given link it says Yes
Which statement are you particularly referring to?

Suggest to review basic physical law instead of construing previous threads.

Saturation current of an ungapped inductor core is determined by saturation field strength Hsat of the core material. It has a unit of A/m, which means in this case ampere turns divided by effective magnetical path length. Core cross section doesn't occur in the equation,

M.Rehan

I don't have much knowledge of saturation of core
I have another inductor.
Specs are
Core Colour is Black
Outer Dia = 74mm Inner Dia = 38 Height = 13mm
100 turn of wire makes it 14.84 mH Inductor.
What will be its saturation current (Estimation of saturation of core by its size and previous experience)

I don't know its manufacturer either

Same as mention on Ebay But Black Coloured
**broken link removed**

I don't know its manufacturer either

Some manufacturers paint their cores according to the material composition.
Anyway, you could adopt the worst case if the core's look brings no additional tip.

Let say Core has least saturation points in the family of Powdered Iron cores

Guess How much saturation current it may have with 100 turns and with 20 turns

Let say Core has least saturation points in the family of Powdered Iron cores

Guess How much saturation current it may have with 100 turns and with 20 turns
aren't you an engineer? can't you measure resonance with a known C and 1 turn to compute L then increase current until L drops 10% ( saturation)

permeability can vary 10:1 and look the same ...easily

if not then request specs.

- - - Updated - - -

if Al =600 wire thru hole will be 1.2uH
20 turns will be be good for N x the above . LOok up Bmax , compute cross sction area, calc max I

Dont need much more than this

Last edited:

The problem is, we do not know what the material is.
And if we cannot find out, there is no way of knowing for sure what Bmax is.

Its pretty strange stuff whatever it is....
Al works out to 1,484nH for one turn.

Looking through some data books on similar sized toroids, the lowest permiability ferrite core I could find was way over 1,484nH, more than double.

All grades of powdered iron were way down below 1,484nH for similar sized toroids, less than a tenth.
It cannot be permalloy either.

As its black and unpainted, its most probably an ultra low permiability ferrite intended for a high power RF transformer applications would be my guess.

If that is so, Bmax would probably be 300mT and that makes it far from ideal to use as a dc choke.
If that is what it is, it would be much more appropriate as a tuned circuit or transformer with high frequency ac voltage and no dc.

M.Rehan

You can get iron oxide core from B = 30 to 3000. 30 is for microwave, 3000 for low,f.

I estimate his Permeability is 600

This part on Ebay is likely scrap or rejcts selling at 10% normal,high quality prices.

If orignal specs are 3A then two parallel cores with half the wire length may be good for 6A, with heavier guage lower by parallel wiring to reduce conduction losses and increase L/R

ok?

Last edited:

M.Rehan

I don't have high current power supply (Just 3A max) So I can not test it

Yes You guys are right.

I got it from an old solar charge controller kit (looked about 1-2 kW) winded in chocked configuration

I estimate his Permeability is 600
Then What will be saturation current for 100 Turn and for 20 Turns?

saturation and permeability don't have linear relationship then what will be the formula for saturation calculation from permiablity?

- - - Updated - - -

Looking through some data books on similar sized toroids
Can you Please share data books link

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.