Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading from a file for LCD interfacing (in VHDL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyiclearner

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

How can I read from a text file and display in a 2 line character LCD module. I am using VHDL and a Spartan 3 FPGA.

Thanks,
Hobbyiclearner.

Reading a text file from where? E.g. a storage device? Presume you know that VHDL file operations are only available for simulation.

OK, Thanks for the tip. My plan was to display text on a LCD driver. Now it is difficult to type 8 bit equivalent for each alphabet. So, I was planning to define each alphabet (upper case and lower case) as constant in a text file and then somehow refer this file in the program to type out words and lines of words. Is it possible? If so/ if not what can be the possible way.

Hobbyiclearner.

You can think about ROM tables generated at FPGA compile time. FPGA design tools have different options to load binary or hex files during compilation, unfortunately there's no standard VHDL command for this purpose.

Or load character tables and text strings to FPGA internal RAM through an interface at run time.

Status
Not open for further replies.