Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[AVR] ATmega128 error in fuse bits read

Status
Not open for further replies.

north2012

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am using USBasp to program my board with ATmega128, hardware is single side PCB by Thomas Fischl https://www.fischl.de/usbasp/
My board was working well and I decided to change some parts of the code but when I tried to read chip signature I got error (attachment) as well as when I tried to read fuse bits. I thought that maybe I have issue with CLK fuses and I applied external clock (5 V, 16.67 MHz) to the XTAL1 pin but without any success. I am confused because my board is still working as before but I cant make any change in program. Why I can not read fuse bits?

I have checked wires between programmer and my board and everything seems to be OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks

error.jpg

Last edited:

Hi,

check:
* power supply
* reset
* uC clock frequency (in case you already selected it)
* programming clock (if you are not sure then try less than 100kHz)

clock:
The uC clock needs to be at least 4 x programming clock.

Worst case is if you accidentally selected an external clock or external clock circuitry (XTAL, RC...) but that doesn´t exist...
Then the uC in fact has no clock. It can´t respond to the programmer.
In this case you need to feed an external clock to the uC clock input. Just for the time you want to program it.

Then the programmer can communicate and you may correct clock setup fuses.

Klaus

I would prefer ProgISP software with USBasp programmer. Khazma acts as a malicious file for me. You may have a try with ProgISP. Cross check your connections from Programmer to the Device. Confirm the device is powered with USB or External. See that you are using "Slow clock" mode with the Jumper closed. Confirm the Crystal and reset circuit is connected to the target microcontroller.

Status
Not open for further replies.