Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Graphical IDEs for FPGAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

garvind25

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Does anyone know of graphical IDE software for FPGAs, like EdSim51 or Moravia MCU 8051 IDE for micro-controllers. I am looking for a package where I can see the outcome of the code on seven segments, LCDs, serial ports, PS2 ports etc without having to actually program a development board.

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta.

Well you can run a testbench with your code in a simulator like Modelsim. But there isn't any IDE package like you are describing where you can make a schematic along the lines of Proteus simulations, that I've ever heard of.

OK ... :cry: Any more answers pls.

Most people verify FPGAs with a testbench that would contain an LCD BFM that outputs stuff like "LCD display is now: 12345" etc.

OK... I am in the learning phase of FPGAs. Presently I am concentrating on peripheral interfacing. I do not know test bench writing very well. Thats why looking for alternatives. BTW, waht is a BFM....?

Arvind Gupta

OK ... :cry: Any more answers pls.

Just because you want the tool isn't going to change the answer, there isn't any tool like you are describing, the closest is perhaps running a simulation using simulink, but that's still not quite the same thing as you are asking for.

If you really think it's going to be better than writing a testbench (I doubt it will improve productivity) then start your own company and develop the concept and get it out on the market.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not know test bench writing very well.
BTW, waht is a BFM....?

Bus Functional Model.

Learn to write testbenches, it's important if you want to pursue FPGA or ASIC design.

Just because you want the tool isn't going to change the answer, there isn't any tool like you are describing, the closest is perhaps running a simulation using simulink, but that's still not quite the same thing as you are asking for.

Simply looking for second opinion.

OK, any resources on learning how to write test bench. I prefer books (if internet is your answer then dont bother replying back).

A.G.

Status
Not open for further replies.