Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BRAM read delay.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

velu.plg

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
BRAM takes one clock cycle for reading data at output port. But in the schematic there is no register was inferred with in the BRAM instant. How that one clock cycle delay happened ?

Have looked in depth and have search carefully?
Which FPGA?
Can you mention the spec for that BRAM?

To get an answer you must ask a question with all associate details!

For Xilinx there are 'Core Output Registers' (pg058-blk-mem-gen).pdf just before the BRAM dout pin due to which you get a 1 clk delay.

Have looked in depth and have search carefully?
Which FPGA?
Can you mention the spec for that BRAM?

For Xilinx there are 'Core Output Registers' (pg058-blk-mem-gen).pdf just before the BRAM dout pin due to which you get a 1 clk delay.

device :vertix7 xc7v2000t
i have open the schematic using .edif and look in for the dout register, that schematic does not have the dout reg. where can i identify this dout reg ?

In fact we don't know if you see the regular read delay of synchronous BRAM or an additional register delay. You should show a timing diagram, e.g. simulation wave window.

The Xilinx BRAM has embedded registers on the Address lines and will always have a one clock cycle delay from applying address-read_enable before the data is output. This address to read data delay is shown in the timing diagrams in the BRAM user guide (have you read that over thoroughly?). These registers do not show up in a schematic because they are built into the BRAM.

See third bullet on page 12: All inputs are registered with the port clock and have a setup-to-clock timing
specification

see 6th bullet on that same page: A read operation requires one clock edge

There are also optional output registers, which I also believe will not show up in a technology schematic if used (I think the restriction is no reset and no enable on the output registers of a BRAM will allow the tools to merge the registers into the BRAM itself).

The Xilinx BRAM has embedded registers on the Address lines and will always have a one clock cycle delay from applying address-read_enable before the data is output. This address to read data delay is shown in the timing diagrams in the BRAM user guide (have you read that over thoroughly?). These registers do not show up in a schematic because they are built into the BRAM.

See third bullet on page 12: All inputs are registered with the port clock and have a setup-to-clock timing
specification

see 6th bullet on that same page: A read operation requires one clock edge

There are also optional output registers, which I also believe will not show up in a technology schematic if used (I think the restriction is no reset and no enable on the output registers of a BRAM will allow the tools to merge the registers into the BRAM itself).

specification

In that above line "All inputs" means which includes input port, address port, write enable port ,..etc ?

In that above line "All inputs" means which includes input port, address port, write enable port ,..etc ?
Is there any other meaning of "all inputs" that you consider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back