Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] Can a damaged controller can be read and written?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7ezhil7

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have programed my PIC16f877a to give high output at port D.But it does not produce any response.I suspect the controller for damage. But I can read and write my controller with PICKKIT2 v2.61. Please tell me whether the controller is damaged or not.

The Pickit 'talks' to the core of the processor so it can write and read it's memory but it is possible to damage port pins by over current or over voltage so they no longer function while the remainder of the PIC is still OK.

If the whole port D has failed it is more likely to be a problem in your software or configuration though.

Brian.

Thanks for Your Reply Sir,
With PICKKIT2 reading and writing my controller Can we say that there is no problem with Microcontroller?

Hi,

It seems you are not sure whether it is damaged or not.

* Check supply current
* Check clock
* Check RESET
* Check programmer communication (Maybe there are several possible ways to program the controller. Check basic things like device ID ...)

You could report us all the results of the above tests.

Klaus

Thank you for your reply,
The supply current is around 4mA.Unfortunately,I dont have any assets to check my clock.I didnt use any Reset switch.Also I checked the programer settings.These settings were correct.Is there any way to check clock using Multimeter without frequency measurement

Hi,

please provide more information to get better assistance:

The supply current is around 4mA
If we knew: exact microcontroller type, VCC voltage, clock frequency... we could find out if this is normal.
If the current is too low, then either the clock is not running or the microcontroller is in reset or power_down sate...

I didnt use any Reset switch.
..but how is your RESET pin connected?

Also I checked the programer settings.These settings were correct.
Four eyes see more than two. Give us your setting and we can cross check it.

Is there any way to check clock using Multimeter without frequency measurement
I see no easy and reliable way.

Klaus

Hi,

Check your Configuration bits in your software. check for oscillator selection in your
configuration bits whether you are using internal or external.

Is it a new device you are using?
Have you meddled with the supply voltage?
Have you over driven any port bits?
What makes you suspect the device is damaged?

The requirements to use the PicKit 2 to program the device are a lot less than those to have the device run. For example, the programming side of things does not require the oscillator to be working.
Does the tool that you use to write the code and program the device allow you to debug the code? If so, you can do a debug build and see if you can connect with that - this DOES require an oscillator of some sort within the chip to communicate between the IDE and the chip.
If that works then you know that an oscillator can be configure to run. Then you need to look at which one is used as power-up - the appropriate config settings will tell you that.
If you alter the oscillator settings in your code, then you shoudl be able to step through the code to see if the code is working after the oscillator has been reset. Again, it will be necessary to see your code to check of that is working correctly.
If all of that works then there could still be a lot of other problems but without the code it is really hard to tell.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back