Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting Battery in parallel to measure the current

Status
Not open for further replies.

karg3

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have a circuit powered by AAA battery of 1.5 V,1A. I wanted to measure the current consumption in the board. The AAA battery assembly will be not be accessible to measure, so another AAA 1.5V battery in connected in parallel and current is measured across the wire using clamp meter.
I understand when the batteries are connected in parallel, the voltage will remain same but the current will be doubled. The connection is as shown below..

Can anyone clarify if this is the right way to measure the current across. I am doubtful since the current is doubled,will the measurement be accurate?
Capture.PNG

In case the two cells do not have exactly the same voltage, one will drive current into the other till the voltages become equal. Hence connecting cells in parallel is not recommended.

To measure the circuit current you need to connect the ammeter is series with the battery so you need to add a wire between the battery and the circuit.

The current you are measuring with two batteries has nothing to do with the current drawn by the circuit.

The current you are measuring with two batteries has nothing to do with the current drawn by the circuit.

Exactly!

Measuring current is unfortunately an invasive procedure, even with a clamp meter you require a wire to clamp the meter to.

To read battery draw, I cut a square of circuit board which had metal on both sides, about 3/8 inch square. I soldered a wire to each side. I insert the square at one end of the battery, so it intercepts current. I connect my meter to the wires.

To read battery draw, I cut a square of circuit board which had metal on both sides, about 3/8 inch square. I soldered a wire to each side. I insert the square at one end of the battery, so it intercepts current. I connect my meter to the wires.
If you don't have such a piece of circuit board, you could use a piece of heavy paper or think cardboard with metal foil tape stuck on both sides.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.