Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3d printing, How it works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzy

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Do you guys use 3D printers, I was wondering what do you guys think about the DIY Printers I watched serveral reviews and see that there is always faults but at the end of the day they always get them working If I had the choice of having enough cash I would purchase a proper 3D printer and try to learn how to use it but I cant do that anytime soon.

Geeetech Prusa Reprap Acrylic I3

Cubify CubeX 3D (not Diy but your thoughts on it)

Which software would I use with a DIY 3D printer or can any software be use aslong as its in the correct format?

What is the standard format for 3D printers, or or different printers have different formats.

Well if I needed something to drool over I guess I would just dream but in real life I need something cheap and was asking for someone with some experience if they ever tired the DI versions, if I had cash like that I wouldnt need to ask anything because I would just get something that has good support and warranty ect.

Well if I needed something to drool over I guess I would just dream but in real life I need something cheap and was asking for someone with some experience if they ever tired the DI versions.

My experience is 2 years out of date now but I have seen a lot of 3D printers as the technology
emerged - (trade shows etc)
In my experience from that time even expensive printers were unreliably and infuriating to use for
many of the things people wanted to do. Yes they worked and yes the results can be impressive.
But mostly patience and attention to detail were strongly needed.

I guess you could multiply the issues if using a DIY or cheap model.
(Things like heated base plate issues - design glitches - jamming up - poor mechanical construction,
dissapointment with limited options, poor results etc)

For education maybe they are useful and high end really are great for prototype work
(and manufature etc) but the notion of "everyone printing things at home" was, is, and will be for many
years an obvious absurdity in my opinion.

I don't think as a small business I'd want to get stuck with one to be honest.
Others may dissagree of course.

If you discover otherwise please let us know - I'd be interested.

Ok then and for me right now my main purpose in getting it is for the purpose of making simple enclosures for electronic circuits that I build so far I don't know how to get circuit for the stuff I build, at times I will ask a sheet metal worker to build something for me but most times its too messy and not looking good at all. I found a company online at one point who I can pay to design it and make it or I send in a design reguardless of the method its very expensive so thats why I was thinking abut 3d printing.

Yes that's the reason I looked into it initially too.
The problem I found is it takes too long to print things for anything more that a prototype.
After that you are still left with how to make more quickly.
I guess a lot depends on how many objects you want
For a few or a few dozen its cheaper to sub contract the printing than to buy and operate/maintain
a printer.

If you only want 3 or 4 say - and are willing to put up with the wait and the maintenance hassle
you might find it worthwhile. But not very economic in practice. (don't forget your own time and
the fact you can't get multi-colours/materials as economic as a bureaux print etc.)

"Very expensive" is very much a relative term with 3D printing I think.

If you need more I did discover the chinese are very economic when it comes to die manufacture
for mass production (doing the same job in the UK I was literally quoted 10 times as much)

Ok that makes sense, I am a hobbyist so i'm sure I would find more things to do with it also, but for one I have never used a 3d modeling software secondly those things normally require a course or long periods of time to learn if you can find good enough videos to explain and then the software's are hard to obtain, for a 3d printer now they have a website where simple things like cases of all different kind are already designed and you can re size or do anything you want to it and you can just download and print it, its even made specially to mount circuit boards so it has mounting holes in the cases and you can space them however, also in the beginning making cases i'm sure I would only want full black, I have no idea if 3d printing a case if its able to write on the case but that's the only reason I think I would need a different color.

All your reasons make sense though because I think If I was to make anything else, something more complex it will give issues until I practice and get setting correct but I have seen some videos where they don't seem to be all that bad but sometimes its best to speak with someone rather than just watching a video.

Used it for models and one off finished enclosures for test kit etc.
If you use the fused deposition technique, the standard home 3D printer format, the layers are built up of plastic laid down in layers, so they can be strong along the length, but weaker where the layers are, so thin wall constructions can be problematic, but quite thick walls (3mm+) can be more solid. the problem with simple 3D machines compared to professional ones is the home ones are not in a chamber where the temperature can be elevated thus the plastic kept warmer and thus a better bone is achieved between the layers.
So solid rigid designs work best with good wall thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back