Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inverter theory - how can I bring the inveter to resonance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbrick

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
inverter theory - how can I bring the inverter to resonance ?

hello dear forum,

this below circuit is the schematic of an ultrasonic inverter

ultrasonic5.JPG

I want bring the circuit to resonance by playing with the value of inductance between output transformer and the piezo element

my question is ;

if I display the current and voltage at the 220 VAC input with the osciloscope - can I get an info if the circuit is at the resonance or capacitive or inductive behaviour ?

better said - if the circuit is capacitive or inductive for example would I see an out of phase scope display of input current and voltage ?

similarly , if the circuit is at the resonance is the line current and voltage in phase ?

thank you

Re: inverter theory - how can I bring the inverter to resonance ?

can I get an info if the circuit is at the resonance or capacitive or inductive behaviour ?

It's possible to do this, with the help of a sense resistor. That is how to detect the moment when current changes direction.

The sense resistor develops a voltage when current goes through it.
The op amp detects zero crossings. It detects the resonant frequency automatically, and drives the half-bridge at that frequency.

We might wonder if it works if we take voltage across the inductor or capacitor? However this does not give us switching signals at the correct point in the cycle.

The sense resistor could be in the ground side of the load (Tx) which would make it easier to use (the signal therefrom)...

- - - Updated - - -

For a set driving frequency, varying the o/p L will only get you so far, as, you need to match the effective load of the transducer (at full power) to the impedance of the circuit driving it, ideally aiming for a Q of about 2-3, i.e. the driving impedance being lower than the piezo load at full power, and still having inductive drive, i.e. operating just about true resonance, this gives best performance. Zo = SQRT(L/C) Z piezo needs to be ~2-3 times this to avoid too heavily loading the ckt.

Hi,

if I display the current and voltage at the 220 VAC input with the osciloscope - can I get an info if the circuit is at the resonance or capacitive or inductive behaviour ?

No. Not at the 220V AC input side.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.