Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use Arduino MEGA with Arduino Uno as the Serial to USB connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebhoi01

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone!

My Arduino Mega with Atmel16u2 as the Serial-USB interface uC was dead (not detectable with the PC). When I plug the board with the USB the Atmel16u2 is burning.
I already have tried, everything.... Like everything.. DFU mode and Reflashing the Atmel16u2, but still no luck.

Just to give an idea, when I check for signatures, both the Atmel16u2 and the Atmel 2560 are responsive, and there is no error message whatsoever, perhaps the only problem I could say is that the atmel16u2 is burning hot when I connect it to the USB.

I was wondering if its possible to still use the Atmel 2560 chip on the Mega board by bypassing the Atmel16u2, I have a cheap china made arduino uno that I would like to test out.
My idea is to use the Arduino Mega Board while the USB is connected to the Arduino Uno.

In other words, all the Arduino Uno has to do is to act as the USB to Serial Interface while the Arduino Mega will be my main chip where I will place my code.

I hope I make any sense. I just want to salvage my Arduino 2560, provided that my assumption that the Atmel 2560 is still working.

I am looking forward of hearing from you guys, thank you.

Kind Regards

eebhoi01

I had repaired few months ago two boards for a friend, both of the type MEGA 2560, but one original from Italy and another from China. Each one exhibited different symptom, one did not communicate with host, and other neither blinked any LED. Both the boards had the regulator 1117 burnt, and changing them to another ( bigger ) one was enough to solve the problem. Differently from yours, the uC didn’t heat up, but depending on how long you kept it hot, you could be hopeful to had not damaged it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back