Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

On Settling of a fully-differential amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

abonic

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear guys,
Due to the periodic drift of the output CM level, the outputs (Voutp & Voutn) of a fully differential amplifier accordingly drift even with sufficient SR and UGB, as shown in the figure attached. This is the typical case.
2016-5-9 9-10-18 - 副本.png
However, if we look at the differential signal (Voutp-Voutn), the influence of the CMFB vanishes. The differential signal seems perfect.
Comparing the single-end signals and the differential representation, we may conclude that the former are not well settled, whilst the latter is well settled. (Confusion??)

Actually, in my practise, opamp exhibiting this phenomenon still works well preliminarily by simulation (this conclusion has to be fully verified further) , however, I'm pretty worrying about the result of the final testing.

My question is, when we talk about the settling of a fully-differential amplifier, which one we mean, signal-end signals with effect of CMFB or the differential signal, providing that the drift of the output CM level is not severe.

Thank you!

I have difficulties to reproduce your description in the waveforms. The CM signal is relative small, the difference between single ended and differential waveform not very significant.

But even if the residual common mode signal matters, your post doesn't give a hint under which circumstances the "periodic drift of the output CM level" is observed. Is it due to input CM signal and imperfect common mode rejection? Or is the input signal purely differential and the amplifier producing unwanted DM to CM conversion (e.g. due to non-linearity)? Please clarify.

You should absolutely show the test setup.

... However, if we look at the differential signal (Voutp-Voutn), the influence of the CMFB vanishes. The differential signal seems perfect.
Comparing the single-end signals and the differential representation, we may conclude that the former are not well settled, whilst the latter is well settled. (Confusion??)

Actually, in my practise, opamp exhibiting this phenomenon still works well preliminarily by simulation (this conclusion has to be fully verified further) , however, I'm pretty worrying about the result of the final testing.

Never fear! That's why we use as result the differential signal (Voutp-Voutn). It's the meaning of a differential amplifier to minimize all the common mode signals, like clock and voltage reference signals, which all wear their unavoidable peaks and ringings.

I had the same phenomena with opAmps and even an ADC, and both worked well in test and reality.

Never fear! That's why we use as result the differential signal (Voutp-Voutn). It's the meaning of a differential amplifier to minimize all the common mode signals, like clock and voltage reference signals, which all wear their unavoidable peaks and ringings.

I had the same phenomena with opAmps and even an ADC, and both worked well in test and reality.

Thank you erikl, it is really a good news for me. I'll leave this problem alone, and go to tapeout.
when the testing results come out, I'll post some results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back