Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can high soldering iron temperature damage capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can holding a soldering iron on a capacitor for too long or soldering and desoldering it multiple times damage the capacitor? If so, in what ways? Can the capacitance value change?

Does the affect apply equally on cermaic, electrolytic and tantalum capacitors?

By too long I mean several seconds.

On each specific manufacturer's device datasheet you can find information regarding to maximum duration and soldering temperature. Part of that data is due to the component geometry itself, which in certain way can differently either conduct and/or retain some amount of heat. There isn't any reasonable reason to presume that capacitors built with different materials would react the same way in regard to its inner conductivity and dielectric properties.

Hi,

Guess ... You find those information in a datasheet.

Either directely in the device datasheet (Wurth), or there are common soldering documents at the manufacturer´s internet sites.

An example:
Wurth WCAP-CSGP Ceramic Capacitors Datasheet:
Gives two soldering diagrams. One for reflow, the other for wave soldering.
Additinally they give informations in a table:
* Peak temperature (Tp): 250°C - 260°C
* Time of actual peak temperature (tp): max. 10 seconds

I´d say: every iron soldering gives more thermal and mechanical stress to the device than reflow or wave soldering.

According your questions:
There should be plenty of information material about soldering errors, effects, damages, and so on in the internet.
My opinion: Every change in behaviour is possible: Value change to complete damge.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back