Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How does a DFB (Distributed Feedback Laser) laser diode work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stackprogramer

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How DFB(Distributed Feedback Laser )laser diode works?

today i was studying DFB laser,i know in it's active region there is Diffraction grating.
you can see image DFB
dfb_ma.jpg

it is talked it has feed back,it is ambiguous !!
can any explain how it can select a special wavelength ???
in this video
my question in under diffraction grating in active region why other wavelength can not pass???

in advance thanks for attention

Last edited:

Re: How DFB(Distributed Feedback Laser )laser diode works?

in a laser, the light quantity increases with each pass thru the material. It has to do with electons turning into photons, etc.

SO, if you have a standard diode laser, you just cleave the rectangular shape of it so that the wavelength of the long side is approximately equal to the physical length. THEN you can have light of the correct color (wavelength) build up with each bounce off of the cleaved end. The only problem is that the exact wavelength of the light generated is not very stable. It can be one color, then suddenly hop to a slightly new color, or can even put out multiple colors (multiple lines) at the same time.

SO, if you want ONE very pure color of light (only one spectral line) instead of cleaving the edges to form a reflective surface, you make a printed bandpass filter that reflects one color of light very well. That way you get ONE spectral line width (mostly) instead of just a bunch of colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back