Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is dualport ram much more costly than singleport ram asic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhytr

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
asic single vs dual port ram

thanks!

tsmc 0.18u bitcell

Of course, it depend on the num of the port and width of banks.

bitcell size for single and dual port sram

OKay. But when you select dualport ram or singleport ram, you should be base on your circuit in fact. i.e speed of circuit and data throughput etc

sram asic library

Hi,
Can anybody give a comparison (area,cost,power.....) between the single port and dual ports ram? Or where can I find the related information?

Many thanks!!

dual port ram asic

From shematic view point.
One bit cell of single-port ram is consisted of 6T(Transistor) and that of dual-port is 8T. And for process view, the layout will also effect the area of cell.
TSMC provide the optimal-area single-port cell and don't provide the optimal-area for dual-port cell.

Regards,
Jarod

dual port memory artisan

jarodz said:
From shematic view point.
One bit cell of single-port ram is consisted of 6T(Transistor) and that of dual-port is 8T. And for process view, the layout will also effect the area of cell.
TSMC provide the optimal-area single-port cell and don't provide the optimal-area for dual-port cell.

I thought TSMC doesn't provide anything. TSMC contracts with Artisan Components, who develop and release standard-cell library kits for many TSMC tech-nodes (0.25u, 0.18u, 0.15u, 0.13u, etc.) Are you talking about the automated Artisan RAM-compiler? The automated RAM-compiler isn't very useful for single-port memories, because the generated macro is (for most config parameters) extremely "rectangular", and that makes our backend people complain.

ram asic

The backend people tell me that if you design in TSMC process, the area of single-port cell is very smaller than that layouted by ourself. Because its layout may violate the DRC but it work well. This is I know.

Regards,
Jarod

dual port sram size 0.13

jarodz is right
I have opened some layout of ram which are compiled by tools,some DRC error can be easy found .

Regards

flyankh

Re: Is dualport ram much more costly than singleport ram asi

I saw dualport ram is 1.7x size of singleport ram, which was around 4~8KByte.
for a small sized ram like 256Byte or so, it's 2.0x size of singleport ram.

you have to be careful using dualport ram,
writing to and reading from a same address at the same time may have problem.

jay

Re: Is dualport ram much more costly than singleport ram asi

Viragelogic is the another SRAM IP provider ( www.viragelogic.com )
They also provide embeded BIST/BIRA solution. I don't thik that the prices of SP and DP are that different.

of course, dual port ram need 8 transistors to form a unit, and single only need 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back