Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging large capacitor(1F) in hspice/cadence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanoz

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a charge pump whose output is connected large capacitor e.g. 1F, 2F with 4 stages, stage capacitor 250pF and supplying .6V. If it is like 10nF, it is easy to monitor charging of the charge pump by running simulation in hspice. However, large capacitance at the output takes long time charging and I don't know hspice allows to do that.
My question is that is there any way to charge large capacitance quick and efficient way without introducing initial value? Also, which simulations should be suitable to run the charge pump with large capacitance at the output?

Thnx.

I wonder if the circuit has any practical use. It will take really a long to time to charge in real life, so in simulation. If finding .IC values by trial and error is too inelegant, you can spend your time in designing a behavorial precharge circuit. Not sure which approach will succeed faster.

When I want to rapidly charge a large capacitor, I create a separate high voltage source. It can be a pulse train, through a series diode and low ohms, applied to the cap.

Reactions: Wanoz

Wanoz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back