Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing power supply/ transient tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diydidi

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Right, so I have just finished building my power supply. Its a 0-50V 0-4Amps bench supply.
I have an electonic DC load that can do transient tests on power supplies.
I just recently purchased this load.
How do I go about testing my power supply. I have no idea at what current rating to set the dc load and at what frequency i should set it's on/ off cycle.
What waveforms should I expect to see ?
I have done a capture of the on waveform at switch on. Looks good no overshoot.
I forgot to mention the dc load has the following parameters that can be set for transient testing.
Start current
End current
Rise tim
fall time
On time
Off time
Hope someone can give me a couple concrete steps to test my power supply
Thanx.

I think that the most important aspect of a "bench" power supply is that , suppose its output is set to 5V, that under no circumstances must this rise to above 5.5V due to overswings. If the output dips when a high current is taken, its annoying but not catastrophic.
So The first thing you need is some way of detecting voltage overswings down to nanoseconds. This should be calibrated at 3.5, 5.5. 13,15,28 and 50V and extend the pulse to flash a LED for a few seconds.
So if the current goes from 0 to 4A as quickly as possible and varying the pulse frequency across the whole spectrum in steps (Ton = 100mS with Toff = 100mS, Ton = 10mS Toff =10mS. . .). If any instability is seen vary the Ton and Toff to maximise it and decide if the level is problematic.
I was once involved with modifying a 24V 4A PSU that some times crow barred in service. With out the crowbar the output would over swing to 40V during a mains disturbance.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.