Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting 2 smps in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

raman00084

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am having 2 smps input rated 240v ac and output is 12v dc. i am having 440v line only in my panel can i connect the 2 smps ac input in series and connect to 440v terminal, and then connecting the output 12v in series which gives 24v output this is correct kindly help.

Connecting 2 SMPS in series at the input side has a risk associated with it, if any of the SMPS input power is less than other SMPS (imbalance in the input impedance in spite of connecting secondary in series due to mismatched efficiency), that SMPS will get subjected to a higher voltage on its input. Also any failure in one SMPS may cause other SMPS to fail too.
switch on startup delays also will cause failures.

440V to 240V transformer might be a costly but safe option.

no because they will not share output current, one will give more than the other and it wont work.

Agree with post #2. A transformer (or auto-transformer) is the way to go.

What is your output power requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.