Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Point to point coaxial cable communication link

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmuj

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am working on point to point communication system over dedicated coaxial cable.

Required Data rate = 100kbps
cable length = 5km

I am looking for suggestion/design ideas

In one of my previous projects I used wire line modem (CMX866) successfully over similar distance but baud rate was 2400.

Can I use two DSL modem ICs for such communication? are DSL chipset ICs available for Digikey/Farnell? i couldn't find any from product profile of TI, Analog or ST etc.
I know Broadcomm is a key player in this market but they don't have good reputation for supporting small volume/ niche market customers.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

mmuj

If you intend to use a coaxial cable, you have to determine the accepted attenuation due to either cable connections as well to the cable losses, which is not small. Each cable type ( e.g RG-59, RG-6, etc… ) is suited to work with determined range. Although the coaxial cable has a good performance in terms of SNR, I would consider using an optic fiber for 5Km at 100Kbps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back