Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bfp420 bjt biasing and where to find iv curves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator3

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am learning S53MV oscillator design. It is provided here: http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53mv/spectana/vco.html

I want to understand how biasing was chosen for BFP420 bjt transistor. I cant find any I-V (Ib) curves in BFP420 datasheet. Prevously i biased FET ne3210s01 and it was pretty convient, because there was some I-V curves, where i can draw Q point and load line. Although it was for certain conditions. But here, with BJT i do not know how to do that. So i did some forward and reverse calculations:
Code:
Vbe=0.6; ' V

Vcc=8; 'V

hfe=60;

Ic=14.8*10^-3; 'A

Vce=3.9; 'V

Ib=Ic/hfe
   Ib = 0.000246667

Rc = (Vcc- Vce)/ Ic
   Rc = 277.027027027

'S53MVS Rc= 270 Ohm

Rb = (Vcc - Vbe - Ic*Rc) / Ib
   Rb = 13378.378378378

' S53MVs Rb = 6.8+6.8 = 13.6 kOhm

' Reverse calculations to find Q point

Rc=270;
Rb=13600;

Ie=(Vcc-Vbe)/(Rb/hfe+Rc)
   Ie = 0.014899329
Ic=Ie;

Vce=-Ic*Rc+Vcc
   Vce = 3.977181208
As you see i found that
VCE is around 4v and current Ie=15ma. Then Rb and Rc was determined. Sow how, based on bfp420 datasheet i can choose emitter current and Vce? Or how i can know iv characteristics. Did i choose beta(hfe),etc. right?

I have datasheet. Problem is i do not know how to read it. Currently i think using spice model to find iv curves. But there must be some way to quickly do approximate conclusions based on datasheet values. Some rule of thumb for choosing q point and load line.

IV curves cannot be used because the hFE of any transistor part number and the base-emitter voltage are a range because some of the transistors are more sensitive and others are less sensitive. The curves on a datasheet and a simulation show only a "typical" device but the circuit you design must have enough negative feedback so that it works with a minimum or a maximum transistor. The minimum and maximum spec's are guaranteed and are printed in the datasheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.