Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] DDR3 SDRAM - Read/write data with Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anden

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I want to use a Raspberry Pi to read/write data to DDR3 SDRAM.
JEDEC DDR3 standard:
https://web.archive.org/web/20070926225257/http://www.jedec.org/DOWNLOAD/search/JESD79-3.pdf

DDR3 SDRAM have 240 pins (most are GND, VCC). 64 data input/output pins.
I've made a circuit with a DIMM DDR3 socket on it.
I connected it to Raspberry Pi, but I can't get it to work.

There are so many pins, and initialization steps. It's like it's to big problem, can't figure it out, to many things that may be wrong, I don't know whats wrong, don't know how far, if I initialize it correctly.

How do I attack this problem, so many parameters...:shock:
DDR3 DIMM socket - experiment.jpg

DDR3 uses a 1.5V SSTL I/O standard, which is very likely incompatible with anything on the Raspberry Pi (I admit I know little about Raspberry Pi) given that there doesn't seem to be anything but GPIO on the card. Most likely the Raspberry Pi uses 3.3V(or even 5V) on the GPIO which if you also powered the DDR3 with that voltage you've likely got a dead memory module.

Maybe you should have read something other than the JEDEC standard, which doesn't seem that great as a datasheet for a DDR3 module.

Besides that unless you designed a hardware DDR3 controller (e.g. in an FPGA) you're most likely never going to get it working via GPIO of a processor.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked the GPIO are 3.3v so you have at a minimum damaged the SSTL I/O of the DDR3, so it's likely the parts will never work.

Wow they must not have liked my answer or thought I was full of it :roll:

The OP posted the same question here 7 hours later and got an abbreviated answer that basically says the same thing without any supporting details.

Ugh, I hate cross posters, maybe I should just stop answering newbie questions, waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back