Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestions for auto plug disconnection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdx_cool

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I am using a motorized AC power cable reel for my electric charging station. The AC cable reel uses a industrial socket which is connected to the plug in the vehicle. I am facing two challenges here. One is that the socket gets damaged with frequent usage as it brushes against the road. To solve this I was thinking of a something like circular ring roller around this socket with ball bearings. Can anyone suggest something like this online or please let me know if there are better ideas .

Attached a picture of the socket being used.
KM 091-159-CON-3P-120-2.jpg

The second issue I face is in case the cable with the socket isnt removed from the vehicle and the vehicle drives away, there is a possibility of damage to entire charging unit as motorized cable reel might get pulled out of the charging station due to the force created by the vehicle moving away. I would like to detect this and cut off a part of the socket and cable. I was thinking of something like another socket and plug behind the socket that fits into the vehicle, so that the secondary plug and socket would automatically disconnect from each other due to the force created by the vehicle moving away. Are there any plug and socket combinations that can do this ? Or, is there any better way of doing this?

1. Socket getting damaged, The cover must be sprung loaded or it will get ripped off. I would surround the socket with stainless steel sacrificial cover. Don't use a motor drive just use weights and springs to retract the lead.
2. Driving off when lead connected. In the car measure the impedance between the neutral and earth pin on the charging socket. If it is not infinity disable the motor (engine).
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.