Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

soldering iron filament

Status
Not open for further replies.

dann11

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently using a 45W soldering Iron but then the filament I replaced is just for 40W, and less than 2 months I again need to replace my filament. it already happens twice that I have to replace my filament after using it for less than 2 months, does compatibility also applies with soldering Iron? do i really need to use a 45W filament for my soldering iron?

A lower wattage element is "expected" to last longer under identical conditions, because it produces less heat. In most cases, the heat is the killer. That it is not lasting its full life suggests that somewhere, there is some problem with heat transfer. The element is not able to transfer the heat to the "point" and gets heated up beyond its rating.

Make sure that it is tightly pressed in place and scape away rust and scales from the surfaces that are enemies of heat transfer. If there is a nut and bolt to tighten, please remove that and clean and replace tightly again.

Status
Not open for further replies.