Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to infer flip-flops from CLBs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sriramsv

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

I am trying to infer 128 bit register in spartan-3 FPGA. when i implement the design i get error during the mapping stage " The design is too large for the given device and package."

it is mapping the flipflops to iobs and the package xc3s200 doesnt have enough iobs .

is there any way i can infer flipflops from clbs?

your help is highly appreciated.

thanks

sriram

Re: inferring FF in CLB

Don't use the module with the 128-bit output as a top level module.

inferring FF in CLB

All the synthesis tools can infer the FFs from the CLB.

Rgds,
zcq

Show us your code.

What software are you using?

This implemented just fine in a 3s50-vq100 using ISE XST. It created a large register and one output IOB, as I expected:
Code:
module top(clk, out);
  input             clk;
  reg       [127:0] count = 0;
  output            out;

assign out = count[127];

always @ (posedge clk) begin
    count <= count + 1;
  end
endmodule

But if the output of the 128-bit register is part of the interface (port in VHDL), synthesis will work, but implementation may try to move the register to the IOBs.

It doesn't really matter if the FFs are in CLBs or IOBs. If all 128 output bits are being connected to IO pins, and your package is too small, you get the "design is too large" error message.

Disable the IOB fitting in settings.

inferring FF in CLB

I agree to what tkbits says
It doesn't really matter if the FFs are in CLBs or IOBs. If all 128 output bits are being connected to IO pins, and your package is too small, you get the "design is too large" error message.

If u r having more number of outputs than what are available, error message will come.

Anyways, IOB fitting can be changed by (in XILINX ISE):
1. Right Click on MAP in Implement Design (in Process Window)
2. Select Properties
3. Turn off Pack I/O Registers/Latches into IOBs option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back