Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

KS 0070B and LCD drive voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxyRick

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have a box (144) of Winteck 16x2 LCD displays. The datasheet (which is minimal) says that the controller is a KS 0070. I have read conflicting reports of this; some say it is completely compatible with the HD 44780, some say the timing requirements are completely different.

Has anyone used an LCD with this controller? I am writing code in CCS PICC, with the built-in LCD routines which work with HD 44780, but I can't get any response from the LCD. The code checks for the 'busy' signal to drop before writing, and it never gets past that stage. Swapping for a HD 44780 LCD works fine, so the code and circuit is OK for that.

Also, I am unsure of the LCD drive voltage. The datasheet states 'Vdd-Vo = 4.5V typical' where Vdd is 5V supply. Does this mean the LCD drive (Vo) should be 0.5V? I have attached a 10K potentiometer to drive this pin, but cannot get anything on the display at any setting. Usually, an LCD will show a contrast change even if it is not getting data (just has power).

Either I am doing something wrong (needs different code, wrong LCD drive voltage) or my displays are dead.

FoxyRick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back