Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SPI transceivers for OOK without MCU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mapuia

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to use ready-made 433MHz transceiver modules intended for use with SPI control as simple OOK devices without involving MCUs? I've tried cheap (<$1) Tx-Rx ASK modules and they work well for my purpose except that I'd like to have a bit more range in reserve. Those with a longer reach are more easily available as programmable transceivers. The cheap ASK modules typically have about +10dBm output and -105dBm receiver sensitivity while the SPI transceivers have up to +20dBm output and better than -120dBm sensitivity.

I'm not new to electronics but my present knowledge of MCUs and related technologies is rather vague. The data I want to send is one-way, slow and irregular, similar to remote control signals. Dedicated encoder-decoder chip pairs like the HT12E/D and PT22x2 are good enough for data integrity. The only reason I'm considering the more complex transceiver modules is because of their longer range.

If it's possible to use the transceivers, can you please give me some hints on how to go about it? I have a broad general idea about things like MISO, MOSI, CS, etc. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

You mean sending SPI data via 433MHz transmitters?
I don't think there is a simple solution, because SPI needs multiple wires.
Maybe you mean UART...

Klaus

No, maybe I didn't express myself clearly. Let me try again. The data I want to send does not conform to SPI or UART standard. The data is hardware-encoded by a dedicated chip like a Holtek HT12E or similar and decoded at the receiving end by a partner chip.

What I want to do is to make use of the transceiver's wireless capability which has a much longer range than the cheap and common ASK modules. The long range is the only reason I want to use the transceivers instead of the cheap and simple ASK Tx-Rx pair modules.

The transceivers are SPI-compatible but I don't want to use that capability, nor do I know how. I simply want to use them as OOK devices because of their higher transmit output and high receiving sensitivity. I want to use one transceiver as an OOK transmitter and another as an OOK receiver, perhaps hard-wiring them to function in those roles. The question is how.

Perhaps these links will help clarify things -

Transceiver: http://www.dorji.com/docs/data/DRF1278F.pdf

ASK modules: **broken link removed**

A small µC, e.g. in 8 or 14-pin package is the cheapest and most simple way to configure these transceiver modules. It depends on the transceiver features, if you can send/receive a digital bit stream directly to/from the transceiver or the data must also go through SPI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back