Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Counting Pulses from 12 kwhe Meter using PIC16Fxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazzam

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

In my application, I have to read number of pulses from 12 kwhr meters. I am planning to use rising edge interrupt scenario.

Unfortunately, PIC16Fxxx can be configured only for 5 hardware interrupts (INT0, RB4-RB7).

Can anyone help me in this regard.

Best Regards!!!

How are the pulses presented to the PIC?
Are the meters all on the same phase(s) and sharing a common neutral?

It is possible to wire all 12 meters to individual inputs on a PIC and also 'OR' them to make a single interrupt signal. The PIC would then poll all the inputs when it knows at least one of them has produced a pulse.

Brian.

I am aware of interrupt multiplexers that can take eight sources and present them, with due identification, to a single pin. The information about the sources are sent via the data bus. The beauty is that these multiplexers can be cascaded- you can use two of these and get 15 interrupts. You need to see whether PIC can take multiplexers.

Hi,

there are I2C port extenders like the PCA9534, they generate a pin change interrupt.

Or you could just wire them to independent port pins and poll the states.
Check what pulse width they have. poll at leaset twice per pulse (width).
(One i have sends a 80ms pulse, so polling with every 40ms should be enough. Not really high speed)

Klaus

Industry standard electronic energy meters have at least 10 ms pulse width, can be easily processed without pulse counting interrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.