Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rescan automatically for new HW on PCIe. windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanislavb

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Does anybody know how configure windows 8.1 for automatic rescan new HW on PCIe tree
Thank you

Did you look among the Services, for anything that might do the job? There are several dozen Services. (That's a lot to get familiar with their functions.) There are a few whose descriptions contain the phrase 'plug and play'. I believe their purpose is to detect when new hardware is installed, so that Windows can look for a driver.

'Plug and play' can only work with peripherals that support it, and only if the necessary Service is enabled. Services can be disabled, or set to be enabled automatically or manually. If you don't know what you're doing you can stop the computer from operating, so it pays to get informed beforehand.

Do you intend to plug and unplug a PCIe card in a laptop compartment? Can this be done while the computer is on? I would think the card needs to be present at startup, so it can be detected.

I am intending some plug PCIe card which can be switched off/on remotely.
So after turn on I need rescan PCie to return card to PCie. Manually it is no problem. But I want to build some script to run it automatically
Do you have any idea how to implement it in easy way?
Thank you

I believe the computer scans USB, ethernet, hdmi, etc., several times per second. I suppose it checks one or more interrupts. A new peripheral needs to know how to trigger an interrupt. Either that or it must know how to send a signal 'I'm here', immediately when the computer queries it.

Regarding the PCIe, it's a question whether the computer also looks at it periodically. If it does not, then your script idea might work. (Then it's a question whether the scripting language specifically accesses the PCIe.)

If the computer automatically looks at the PCIe periodically, then your job may be easier, because that implies there are routines in the OS which allow you to turn it on/off, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.